Life Sciences & GLOBAL Health careers
The Puget Sound region, especially Seattle-King County, is an important hub for the life sciences, with nearly 160 companies and over 15,000 employees here. During the last 10 years, the industry has grown by 90%.
The life sciences and global health generally fall into four areas:
- Biotechnology—research and development in the fields of agriculture, energy, veterinary, forensics and others.
- Medical devices—designing and making products for the body, from thermometers and blood-sugar meters to artificial hearts, replacement legs and X-ray machines.
- Pharmaceuticals—developing and making medicines and drugs.
- Medical and global-health research—finding new cures and treatments, and new ways to address public-health problems around the world.
Life Sciences and global health resources:
- Global Health Careers Pipeline, a publication of the Washington Global Health Alliance
- Seattle Bioquest, a program that encourages students to explore careers in the life sciences, including Bioquest Academy
- Washington Global Health Alliance Ambassadors program, an interdisciplinary high-school curriculum